In 2023, some of our favourite Nigerian celebrities faced profound personal losses as they said goodbye to their loved ones.
So far, the year has brought them heartache and grief to the forefront of their lives, challenging even the brightest stars to find strength in the face of adversity.
Glamsquad takes a look at these celebrities and the loved ones they lost.
1. Wizkid loses mum at 64: Afrobeats singer, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun better known as Wizkid lost his beloved mother, Madam Jane Balogun to the cold hands of death on 18th August 2023. She was 64 years old.
The father of four received the sad news while touring Europe for his album “More Love Less Ego”.
His colleagues in the entertainment industry and fans took to various platforms to send their condolences.
2. Yul Edochie and May; Nollywood controversial actor Yul Edochie and his estranged first wife, May, lost their first son and second child, Kambilichukwu to the cold hands of death on 30th March 2023 at age of 16.
While May stayed off social media for more than five months, Yul who has a lot going on with his marital life stayed off the gram for a shorter time.
3. Funke Akindele: Nollywood actress and filmmaker, Funke Akindele lost her mother, Dr R. B. Adebanjo-Akindele on 7th February 2023 at the age of 72.
It was a tough period for the mum of two who was into politics as she was vying for the position of Deputy Governor of Lagos State under the Peoples Democratic Party.
The box office queen couldn’t grieve properly due to the proximity of gubernatorial elections.
4. Seyi Vibez: Afro-fusion, Balogun Afolabi Oluwaloseyi better known as Seyi Vibez lost his beloved mother in March of 2023.
He called it the saddest day ever. It is worth noting that Seyi’s mother passed away just a year after losing his older sister.
5. Pasuma: Fuji musician, Wasiu Alabi Odetola better known as Pasuma lost his mother, Alhaji Adijat Kuburat Ajike Odetola on 6th April 2023.
As expected, Pasuma shared a deep mother-and-child relationship with his beloved mother. He always shares the story of how his mother redirected his path during a time when he was heading in the wrong direction and made sure he prioritized his passion for music.