Just when you thought that dating in quarantine would at least free us from the world of ghosting, a sneaker collab dropped early this morning like an unprompted 2 AM text. Launching today, Converse teamed up with Carhartt Work In Progress (WIP) for a pair of messy sneakers that are out here to undo all of the work you did in therapy. Eventually you’ll end up with a nice pair of loafers or reliable running shoes, but these Chuck 70s are like that twenty-something fling we all fondly remember, even if they did leave us on read.
The anti-hype fashion giants, both universally loved by those who live in whatever the BedStuy is of any major city, created a pair of kicks that appear to lack both arch support and emotional maturity.
If the sound of a skateboard rolling down the pavement instantly makes you turn your head, you’re in for a bad time because these shoes will:
- have extreme opinions about the early work of Jean-Luc Goddard.
- exclusively order a Tecate with a shot.
- either sleep on a floor mattress or own a loft apartment tastefully decorated in Chandigarh chairs and a signed Alexander Calder lithograph.
- say “ethically non-monogamy,” when it means “commitment issues.”
- have worked as a photographer at some point in its life.
- pretend to not understand what gaslighting is.