Embattles actor, Jonathan Majors faces up to one year in jail following the upgrading of his charge to third-degree assault.
Recall that Grace Jabbari accused Majors, 33, of assaulting and strangling her in New York City last March, resulting in his initial charge of misdemeanour assault and harassment. However, according to his attorney, the charge has since been “adjusted.”
He attended a court hearing via Zoom on Tuesday morning, May 9, in regards to the status of his assault case – and it was here that a superseding complaint with a charge of third-degree assault was announced, reports Deadline.
This could see Majors being sent behind bars for up to a year if found guilty. He has previously denied all wrongdoing.
Judge Rachel S. Pauley also discussed a motion filed by Majors’ defense team that the prosecution has until 23rd May to respond.
She further stated that he will have to appear in court on 13th June 13, otherwise, he may be arrested.
Pauley told the actor on Tuesday morning: ‘I obviously don’t want that to happen, so just stay in touch with your attorney.’
Following the hearing his attorney, Priya Chaudhry published a statement, slamming Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg for ‘fixing’ the case in favour of the accuser.
She said that despite the alleged evidence that exonerates Majors, the case is continuing and the DA has changed the charge to fit the woman’s ‘new lies.’
Chaudhry said: ‘We have provided the District Attorney with irrefutable evidence that the woman is lying, including video proof showing nothing happened, especially not where she claimed.