- Clean and wash crabs
- In a clean pot, add water, fresh basil leaves, garlic, ginger, knorr cubes and bring to a boil.
Cooking the Rice
- Blend tomatoes, pepper, onions, tatatashe and rodo.
- Heat palm oil in a clean pot, then add blended ingredients and bring to a boil. Until the water dries out.
- Add in crab broth and let simmer.
- Wash locust beans, then add into stew base.
- Add clean rice into stew base and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes. Add in crab broth as needed, and allow rice steam until cooked. Season accordingly ps: while rice is cooking, soak stock fish in water to soften.
- Add in stock fish, beef, shaki, crabs, basil leaves when the rice is almost cooked. Then cover to steam about 10 minutes more, before turning up the heat to let it smoke about 5 minutes.
- Season prawns with palm oil, fresh basil, ginger, garlic, white pepper, thyme and seasoning cube.
- Grill prawns until cooked.
- Serve palm oil rice. Finish off with grilled prawns and fresh basil leaves.
Palm oil rice aka Native rice is the younger sibling to jollof rice. Prepared just as you would your jollof rice dish, but swapping vegetable oil for palm oil and adding more local condiments, like you would in a jambalaya dish.
Craving jollof rice, but also want something different and tasty to elevate your taste buds? Palm oil rice is for you.