Elon Musk Gets A $6 Billion Plan To Combat World Hunger From The UN’s Food Program Director

Following a back-and-forth with Elon Musk, who claimed he would sell Tesla stock if told ‘exactly’ how it would solve the crisis, the UN’s food director has laid out a $6.6 billion plan to combat world hunger.

On Monday, David Beasley, director of the United Nations’ World Food Programme (WFP), tweeted a link to a 1,000-word ‘executive summary’ outlining how the UN plans to spend the $6.6 billion.

The summary explains how the funds will be used to provide meals and vouchers to more than 40 million people in 43 countries on the verge of famine.

 

UN food program director

The WFP proposes a $3.5 billion commitment to buy and deliver food directly, $2 billion for ‘cash and food vouchers (including transaction fees) in places where markets can function,’ and another $700 million to manage new food programs that are tailored to each country’s circumstances in order to reach the most vulnerable, according to the document Beasley shared.

WFP Executive Director David Beasley has been requesting $6.6 million from Elon Musk to help end world hunger, which is only 2% of Musk’s total wealth.

According to the WFP, an additional $400 million would be spent on operations management, administration, and accountability.

‘The $6.6 billion required would help those in greatest need by providing one meal per day, the most basic requirement for survival – costing US$0.43 per person per day, averaged across the 43 countries,’ the organization wrote.

‘The world is on fire,’ Beasley tweeted again on Monday. I’ve been warning about the perfect storm brewing as a result of Covid, conflict, climate change, and now rising supply chain costs. IT HAS ARRIVED.’

Elon Musk has stated that he will sell $6 billion in Tesla stock if the World Food Programme can show him how the money will be spent to combat world hunger.
‘However, it must be open source accounting,’ Musk said, so that the public can see exactly how the money is spent.
Beasley then offered to meet Musk anywhere on Earth or in space, joking that he would show Musk the organization’s open source accounting and funding plan.

Musk has yet to respond to the message he sent earlier this month.

Elon Musk

On Monday, Beasley tagged Musk in his post, urging him to respond to the document outlining the UN’s plan to help 42 million people suffering from famine.

‘The hunger crisis is immediate, unprecedented, and preventable.’ You asked for a clear plan and open books, @elonmusk. It’s finally here! We’re eager to speak with you – and anyone else who is committed to saving lives. To avoid famine in 2022, the request is $6.6 billion,’ Beasley wrote.

Musk had not responded to Beasley as of Friday afternoon.

Following a CNN interview with Beasley in which he asked billionaires to’step up now, on a one-time basis,’ to combat world hunger, the Twitter exchanges began at the beginning of the month.

READ ALSO: Check Out 10 Fascinating Facts About Iron Man’s Mortal Manifestation Elon Musk

Beasley singled out Musk and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos as the two wealthiest men in the world.

While using Twitter may appear to be a public display, Beasley insists he isn’t trying to harass the men.

In a subsequent interview with CNN, he said, “I’m not picking on them.” “Wow, you made money,” I’m saying. Please, in this one-time crisis, assist in sharing.’

The world’s hunger crisis had already worsened before the coronavirus pandemic, which compounded existing issues like climate change, leaving 42 million people ‘literally on the verge of famine,’ according to Beasley. The situation is a “worst-case scenario,” he added.